How to embed video in MailPoet email campaigns
In this tutorial you will learn how to create, add and send a MailPoet Video Email, that plays automatically at the moment of opening.
- Use any video format – be it a YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook video or an MP4 file sitting on your desktop, all can be added to MailPoet email
- Works on all devices and email clients – video mail that works on all devices, all connection types and all email clients with zero impact on email delivery rates.
Seeing is believingEnter your email to experience Video Email in your inbox
Get Started for Free - No Credit Card Required
You can get started with Playable for free, our 30 day free trial offers:
- Full access to the Playable platform – to create and publish your video emails
- Free Video Plays – 1,000 videos Plays
- Copy & Paste Integration with MailPoet – adding videos to your MailPoet email is quick and easy.
Step by Step guide on how to add video to MailPoet email templates
1. Log into MailPoet
- Select the Template for your campaign.
- When editing your Template, drag a Text Block into position where you wish your video to be featured.
For now you are finished in MailPoet
Creating your Video in Playable
2. Create your Playable Account
If you are new to Playable you can create a new account.
All new accounts are offered the opportunity to test drive the platform free for 30 days.
You can upgrade your plan or purchase extra plays as needed.
3. Your Playable Account
This is the home page of your new Playable Account.
To create a new video email click “Videos“
4. Add a new video
5. Upload your Video Content and add a Click URL
Enter a Video Title for the Video you are creating, this will help identify the Video in reporting. You have 2 options on how to upload your video content to Playable:
- URL – Copy and paste a URL of the location of your content. Playable accepts content from all the major hosting platforms including YouTube, Vimeo, facebook and Instagram.
- File Upload – Upload a file from your computer – all video file formats are accepted including MP4, avi, mov and flv.
Once you have selected your video content you have the option to set the size of your video clip which will be embedded within your MailPoet template. For the video clip to fit the full width of your MailPoet template you should enter 600px as your width. Once you have selected your video content and selected the dimensions click the “Apply” button to upload your video file.
Once uploaded you will be prompted to add a Click URL, this is the URL of the page to which you want any clickers on the video to be redirected to
6. Automatic video edit
As your video file is uploaded Playable creates a 10 second clip using it’s A.I. functionality. You can choose to use this clip created by Playable in your Video Email or create your own clip using our editor.
If you wish to use the clip created by Playable click the “Embed” menu item to continue. If you’d prefer to create your own video clip proceed to the “Editor” menu item.
7. Edit your Video
Our editor is designed to enable you to create a 10 second video from the full-length video you uploaded.
It is this 10 second video email that will be published in your video email. In the editor you can crop the video to focus on your key content and select multiple clips to make up the 10 seconds.
As you are creating your video email the editor will show you the duration of each clip and allow you to preview the edit and re edit until you are happy with your final cut.
For a full preview of our editor features visit our Editor Page. Once you have your final cut click “Continue”
8. Enhance your Video Email
You are now ready to add any enhancements to your video email including captions, a watermark, end card or footer. Simply select the enhancements you wish to add and follow the onscreen prompts to add your chosen enhancements.
You can also add a link to where any clickers on the video should be re directed, this will generally be the page where the full video is hosted.
You now have completed creating your video email so click the Compile button.
Playable now compiles this video email into over a hundred versions which will be used to ensure each recipient is delivered the video file most suitable for their device, bandwidth and connection.
9. Preview your Video
Here you can preview the video clip you have created across all the major email clients, simply select an email client from the drop down and your video will be displayed as it will appear in that email client.
As a further check you have the ability to send yourself and your colleagues a sample of the video clip, which will be embedded within your MailPoet email.
Simply complete the form fields and click the Send button.
10. Embed your Video Email
We are now ready to embed the video within your MailPoet email template.
To commence this we click “Embed“. Here we select MailPoet, then click the Button, “Copy to Clipboard“.
It is this HTML which we will add to our MailPoet template.
11. Paste the Playable HTML into the MailPoet template
We now return to MailPoet.
Firstly we click on the Text block in the template, this reveals the Text pane.
We delete the instructional copy which features in the Text Block.
We now Paste the Playable HTML from our clipboard into the Text pane.
We can now preview the video within our template. From here simply test and send your campaign in the normal way.