Online video is a huge phenomenon, and here at Playable we believe it is set to dominate the time we spend online in the very near future (read the next couple of years).
To back up this belief we have pulled together the latest research data and forecasts published by the major forecasting and research agencies in tandem with independent data from the leading industry players.
Online Video Consumption statistics
- Online video will account for 74% of all online traffic this year (KPCB).
- 55% of people watch videos online every day (MWP).
- Almost 50% of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store (ThinkWithGoogle).
- 4x as many customer would rather watch a video about a product than read about it (Animoto).
- YouTube has over a billion users, almost one-third of all people on the internet (YouTube).
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month, spending more than 4 billion hours watching videos (YouTube).
- 500 million people are watching videos on Facebook every day (TubularInsights).
- 45% of people watch more than an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos a week (WordStream).
- Snapchatters watch 10 billion videos a day (AdWeek).
- 82% of Twitter users watch video content on Twitter (Bloomberg).
- 85% of the US internet audience watches videos online. The 25-34 age group watches the most online videos, and adult males spend 40% more time watching videos on the internet than females. (comScore and Nielsen)
The effectiveness of online Video
- People spend on average 2.6x more time on pages with video than without (Wistia).
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users (VidYard).
- 52% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI (Syndacast).
- Online shoppers who view demo videos are 1.81x more likely to purchase than non-viewers (DMB Adobe).
- Including video in a landing page can increase conversion by 80% (EyeView).
- 65% of video viewers watch more than ¾ of a video (Syndacast).
- Viewers spend 100% more time on pages with videos on them. (MarketingSherpa)
- Retail site visitors who view video stay two minutes longer on average and are 64% more likely to purchase than other site visitors. (Comscore)
- Visitors who view product videos are 85% more likely to buy than visitors who do not. (Internet Retailer)
The impact of Video email
- Using the word ‘video’ in an email subject line boosts the open rates by 19% (Syndacast).
- An introductory email that includes a video receives an increase click-through rate by 96% (Implix)
- When marketers included a marketing explainer video in an email, the click-through rate increased by 200-300% (Forrester)
- Email responders to live video within emails are significantly more engaged as evidenced by shifts in time on site of up to 800% above that of visitors arriving at the site from an email featuring a screenshot of the video (ESPN)