How to embed video in SmartrMail email campaigns
In this tutorial you will learn how to create, add and send a SmartrMail Video Email, that plays automatically at the moment of opening.
- Use any video format – be it a YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook video or an MP4 file sitting on your desktop, all can be added to SmartrMail email
- Works on all devices and email clients – Video Email that works on all devices, all connection types and all email clients with zero impact on email delivery rates.
Seeing is BelievingEnter your email to experience Video Email in your inbox
Get Started for Free - No Credit Card Required
You can get started with Playable for free, our 30 day free trial account offers:
- Full access to the Playable platform – to create and publish your videos
- Free Video Plays – 1,000 videos Plays
- Copy & Paste Integration with SmartrMail – adding videos to your SmartrMail email is simple, quick and easy.
Step by Step guide on how to add video to SmartrMail email campaigns
1. Log into your SmartrMail account
- Navigate to Newsletters.
- Proceed to Create a Campaign
- Enter a Campaign Name, Subject Line, select a Listand add Preview Text.
- Select the Layout you wish to use in your campaign and add your content to this template.
2. Email Design
Use the arrow keys to position this HTML section in your template, into position where you wish your video content to be featured.
For now you are done within SmartrMail.
Creating your Video in PlayableThe next steps will guide you through how to create your video clip and then finally how to add this to your SmartrMail email template.
3. Create your Playable Account
If you are new to Playable you can create a new account.
All new accounts are offered the opportunity to test drive the platform free for 30 days.
You can upgrade your plan or purchase extra plays as needed.
4. Your Playable Account
This is the home page of your new Playable Account.
To create a new video email click “Videos“
5. Add a new video
6. Video title and content upload
Enter a Video Title for the Video you are creating, this will help identify the Video in reporting. You have 2 options on how to upload your video content to Playable:
- URL – Copy and paste a URL of the location of your content. Playable accepts content from all the major hosting platforms including YouTube, Vimeo, Brightcove, Wistia, facebook and Instagram.
- File Upload – Upload a file from your computer – all video file formats are accepted including MP4, avi, mov and flv.
Once you have selected your video content you have the option to set the size of your video clip which will be embedded within your SmartrMail template. For the video clip to fit the full width of your SmartrMail template you should enter 600px as your width. Once you have selected your video content and selected the dimensions click the “Apply” button to upload your video file.
7. Automatic video edit
If you wish to use the clip created by Playable click the “Click Action” menu item to continue. If you’d prefer to create your own video clip proceed to the “Editor” menu item.
8. Edit your Video
Our editor is designed to enable you to create a 10 second video from the full-length video you uploaded.
It is this 10 second video email that will be published in your video email. In the editor you can crop the video to focus on your key content and select multiple clips to make up the 10 seconds.
As you are creating your video email the editor will show you the duration of each clip and allow you to preview the edit and re edit until you are happy with your final cut.
For a full preview of our editor features visit our Editor Page. Once you have your final cut click “Continue”
9. Enhance your Video Email
You are now ready to add any enhancements to your video email including captions, a watermark, end card or footer. Simply select the enhancements you wish to add and follow the onscreen prompts to add your chosen enhancements.
You can also add a link to where any clickers on the video should be re directed, this will generally be the page where the full video is hosted.
You now have completed creating your video email so click the Compile button.
Playable now compiles this video email into over a hundred versions which will be used to ensure each recipient is delivered the video file most suitable for their device, bandwidth and connection.
If you wish a click on the video clip to redirect the viewer to a URL you will need to enter this URL into the “Click Action” field.
11. Preview your Video
Here you can preview the video clip you have created across all the major email clients, simply select an email client from the drop down and your video will be displayed as it will appear in that email client.
As a further check you have the ability to send yourself and your colleagues a sample of the video clip, which will be embedded within your SmartrMail email.
Simply complete the form fields and click the Send button.
12. Embed your Video into SmartrMail
We are now ready to embed the video within our SmartrMail email template.
To commence this we click “Embed“. Here we select SmartrMail, then click the Button, “Copy to Clipboard“.
It is this HTML which we will add to our SmartrMail template.
13. Paste the Playable HTML into the SmartrMail template
We now return to SmartrMail.
Firstly we delete the instructional copy which features in the Text Block.
We now paste the Playable HTML into the HTML pane.
Our video is now shown in the preview of our template.
Finally we proceed to Review and Send our SmartrMail Video Email campaign in the normal way.