How to add a video to an iContact email
The video opposite walks through how to add a video to iContact email
- Video Email by Playable plays automatically at the moment the email is opened.
- Use any video format, be it a YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook video or an MP4 file sitting on your desktop, all can be added to iContact email
- Video email works on all email clients, all devices and all connection types.
- Video emails by Playable are mobile, tablet and desktop friendly and have zero impact on email delivery rates.
1. Create a new message in iContact
Create a message within iContact in the normal way. Once logged in select “Create Message” proceed to select your theme or a saved template. When selecting this it’s important to consider where you wish to position your video content within the template.
The video content can easily be added to your template in any position and at any size. Once you have selected your theme select “Start Editing“
2. Decide where to position your Video Content
We have selected to have our video content at the head of the email, so we have dragged the HTML content block into the template to sit under our headline.
3. Complete your Message set up
By clicking on the “Enter HTML” content block which is now positioned in our template a blank pane appears, in the right hand column. This pane is where we will add our video content to the template.
We have now completed the 1st phase of our Message set up and we are going to move on to create our video content.
4. Create your video content
We are now ready to commence creating our Video content which will replace the image noted above in step 2.
If you are new to Playable you can create a new account. All new accounts are offered the opportunity to test drive the platform with 1,000 free plays per month.
Once you are logged in you will see our Welcome page, click “Videos” to continue.
5. Create your Video Content
To create your video clip, click the Add Video button at the head of the page.
6. Video Title and YouTube Video Upload
Enter a Video Title for the Video you are creating, this will help identify the Video later in Reporting.
Check the dimensions of your video, these should be set to ensure your video fits within your template, we are using the width of the template we selected which is 600, so we change this.
You have the option to disable looping, this will see the video play once and then stop on the end-frame, we are opting to loop the video, so we don’t check the box.
You have 2 options on how to upload video content to playable, today we will be using option 1:
- Copy and paste a URL of the location of your content – Playable accepts content from all the major hosting platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Brightcove, Wistia and Instagram.
- File Upload – Upload a file from your computer – all video file formats are accepted including mp4, avi, mov and flv.
Once you have selected your video click the “Apply” button to upload your video file.
7. Edit your YouTube Video
Your video is now ready for editing. Our editor is designed to enable you to create a 10 second video clip from the full-length YouTube video you uploaded. It is this 10 second video clip that will be published in your video email. In the editor you can crop the video to focus on your key content and select multiple clips to make up the 10 seconds.
As you are creating your video clip the editor will show you the duration of each section and allow you to preview the edit and re-edit until you are happy with your final cut. For a full preview of our editor features visit our Editor Page
To ensure your video fits perfectly into the allocated spot of your email template you can select the width and height that you’d like the final video to be published at. Once you have your final cut click “Continue”.
8. Enhance your Video Email
You are now ready to add any enhancements to your video clip including captions, a watermark, endcard or footer. Simply select the enhancements you wish to add and follow the onscreen prompts to add your chosen enhancements.
You now have completed creating your video clip so click the “Compile” button.
Playable now compiles this video email creating over a hundred versions of the video which will be used to ensure each recipient receives the video file most suitable for their device, bandwidth and connection.
9. Add a Click Action to your Video Clip
This click action can either open a URL or continue to play the video and audio on the device, having selected the option you will then need to add the details to support this and finally click the “Apply” button.
10. Preview and sample your Video email content
You can add a message at the head of these emails if you wish, this can be useful when you are circulating for internal feedback. Once you are happy with the sample click “Embed” in the left hand navigation bar.
11. Video Email has been created
Your video email has been successfully compiled so now it’s time to start thinking about embedding this video within your email template.
Select iContact as the email platform that you are using to send your campaign from the drop down options.
11. Copy the Playable HTML snippet
To do this Click the “Copy to clipboard” button in the top right hand corner of the pane where the HTML code is shown.
12. Paste the Playable HTML into the iContact Template
To preview our video content in the template we select “Preview Changes” We can now see our video content playing within our template.
13. Finalise our Video Email content
Once you are happy with your templates content select “Prepare to Send“
14. Test and Send your Video Email
Remember you have 1,000 Free plays included to help you test the video email, once these 1,000 plays have been used the video will be replaced by a static image until further plays have been purchased by visting our Pricing Page.